Monday, March 3, 2014

It's me again

I'm not even going to apologize for my delinquency, or promise to be more faithful. We all know that may never happen. But I will try.

I just got home from what could have been a delightful trip, but turned into a nightmare because of weather delays and so on. We headed out of here early one Friday morning with high hopes of arriving in NYC around 2 pm. It seemed like a simple thing. It WAS a nonstop after all. But it took us 14 hours before we got there. We couldn't take off and then we couldn't land and then we ran out of gas and had to turn back at which time we were threatened with the possibility of having to spend the night in the airport in Detroit. It was worse coming home. I have decided it's due to rising fuel prices. The airlines must cut costs somehow, so they don't replace planes as frequently as they used to, which means we are flying on planes that have been duct taped together and break down more often. Then they overbook because they make more money if the plane is full. So the poor schmucks who have cancelled or bumped flights don't have a prayer of getting on another plane. They are the ones sitting around at the gate with a glazed expression, mumbling incoherently. However, they try to placate the plebes by rolling out carts of snacks. You have cheesy crackers with peanut butter, little bags of peanuts, candy bars with peanuts, etc. I'm sure they are hoping someone will have an allergic reaction, which will leave a seat vacant on the next flight. But they have to delay the flights to give the baggage handlers plenty of time to mutilate your luggage and throw it on the wrong plane. This trip I had a relatively new suitcase, well made. One of the handlers must have taken a wrench to one of the wheels and yanked it off. There was a little bloody stump sticking out. Sad. Of course, wheels are not covered when you try to make a claim. Actually, whatever it is you want to make a claim on, is not covered today. Yes, I am jaded.

Now here's another story on an unrelated topic. I bought 2 pairs of jeans at the same store. They are a store brand, same size, same style, same color. I tried both pairs on before purchase. Both fit fine. I started wearing them. One pair I love. The other one, inexplicably falls down after a few hours. I find myself constantly yanking them up. I try to keep them separate in the closet but invariably I end up somewhere, other than home, wearing the bad ones. So this week, I carefully examined them to see what I had missed. I verified the size and style number again. However, one pair was made in China and the other one, Bangladesh. Aha! Yesterday I wore my Chinese pants, today the Bangladeshi pants. I think the Chinese pants are the bad ones. So, now do I go tell the clerks at the store, or keep this bit of information to myself? Bionic Man says he's not surprised. When he was working, he found the Chinese were willing to cut corners. The Bangladeshi's were more particular on specifications. I just have to make sure I always buy the Bangladeshi pants.

This afternoon I came out of my cocoon to fix dinner and the house was HOT. What is going on? I almost never have the thermostat set over 68 so it didn't occur to me to go look there. But it's unbearable. So, naturally I think I must be dying or something. Bionic Man checked the thermostat. It's 85! I guess earlier in the day when I was delirious, I dusted the house and must have bumped it. Good Grief! That just goes to show you, you should never dust your house.

I'm now signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment