Monday, July 18, 2011

Facebook

Those who know me are aware of my extreme dislike for facebook. Believe me, I have tried to make sense of this social network tool. This year I was told that if I wanted to find a bunch of addresses I needed for an anniversary thing I was working on, that FB was the way to go. I think I was on it for hours, sometimes, and was lucky to glean one or two addresses and a microbe of valuable information. I have abandoned it again. But today is my birthday. Imagine, I'm getting scads of birthday wishes from people. Mind you, some of these people probably wouldn't stop to help me if I was bleeding and unconscious in the street, but they wish me a happy birthday. Some wouldn't even recognize me if they bumped into me. So, I asked #2 daughter if perhaps there was a birthday button you just pushed, and automatically the happy birthday went out, or if you actually had to type the words in. She assured me that you had to type it in yourself. So, I was complaining about how long it would take me to respond to each of these people, most of whom are faux friends. I was informed that there is a way to offer an equally impersonal response to everyone. Simply update your status. So, now I can get greetings from faux friends and send a faux response back. One more thing I can love about FB.

No comments:

Post a Comment